We had quite a crazy situation last night.

Carson’s been sick for the past few days with a bad cold. Heavy cough, stuffy nose & fever. I know we have a cheap humidifier, but when we moved in it got put in the attic, so I haven’t used it for a long time. I asked Trent to hunt it down, which he did. I filled it up and I remembered from the last time I used it that you are supposed to add salt to make it steam, and I hadn’t added enough salt. I remember having to take it apart twice and add more salt. So, this time I figured I would just add a bunch of salt. Who needs to measure? Trent was reading Carson his bedtime stories, I plugged in the humidifier, and it was steaming away.

MEANWHILE, you should know that about 3 or 4 times a year, I get a wicked headache. It is always behind my left eye, makes me very nauseus and there is no cure but to puke my guts out, take advil and sleep for about 5 hours. I hesitate to call it a migraine, because I’m think real migraines are worse, so I’ll just say they hurt so bad they make me vomit every time.

Well, I was in the throws of one of these headaches last night. Sydney was down, and all I needed to do was sit/lay with Carson for a few minutes as part of our nightly ritual. I was talking to myself the whole time, telling myself I did NOT need to throw up. I could wait. Carson, being rather sick himself, was already sleepy, so I left quickly and BARELY made it to the sink in the bathroom. EWWWW! So, so gross. I knew I’d be the one to clean it up, so I transferred quickly to the toilet.

I’m sorry to be so graphic, but to truly sense the craziness of this moment, you need to know that I was on my knees, worshipping the porcelain gods as they say, mid-upchuck when THE SMOKE DETECTOR STARTED GOING OFF! I’m not kidding you. Loud and shrill as the day is long. I immediately knew Carson would be freaking out, because he is so scared of loud noises, and I also knew it was the steam causing it, so it would be coming first from the detector in his room, as well as in the hall outside all of the bedrooms. Still, I took half a second to wipe my mouth with TP as I ran into his bedroom. (Trent was out in the living room, on his way, I figured.) Feeling like someone out of a movie who has a horrible hangover and is in pain with loud noises, I cringed as I walked into the loud, steamy room, yanked the power cord from the humidifier, pulled the curtain and blinds up, opened the window, and then held Carson. I took him into the other bathroom where I promptly rinsed my mouth out with water and brushed my teeth. I’m sorry, sweetie, that you are horrified and crying, but it needs to be done.

The alarms stopped after a couple minutes when the steam died down. Sydney was wide awake too, but fortunately not scared. I fought against the pain for another 20 minutes getting everone settled, then fell into bed. So, how was your night?